Request and Add Letters of Recommendation to an Application for an Interfolio-hosted Position
You can request letters of recommendation during the process of applying to a ByCommitte position. The letters you request will be stored in your Dossier account. You can also attach letters that have already been added to your Dossier to ByCommittee applications. ¬†
If you request a letter of recommendation while completing an application for a ByCommittee position, the requested letter will be automatically added to your ByCommittee application when we receive it. So, you can submit your application once you have requested your letters, and we will attach the letters once they come in.
Below, you'll find instructions for the process of requesting letters of recommendation when applying to a ByCommittee position, and adding letters from your Dossier account to a ByCommittee application.
Click "Apply Now For Free" on a position announcement
If an institution is using ByCommittee to run a search, you will be able to apply online just by clicking the "Apply Now for Free" button in the position announcement. Follow the instructions below once you create your free account, or after signing in to your existing Interfolio account if you have one.
Or you can search for ByCommittee opportunities in the program:
1. To find ByCommittee positions in the program, click "New Application"
2. Enter search terms
Find the position and click to open
Click "Start Application"
When applying for an opportunity through ByCommittee you are guided through a series of application steps or sections
An overview of the application steps are listed to the right of the screen.
The first step in completing a ByCommittee application is adding required documents
You will see the list of each required document with the number required of each document type. You will need to satisfy all document requirements before submitting your application.
Click "Add File" to add a "Confidential Letter of Recommendation or Evaluation"
Add letters of recommendation from your Dossier account, or use Dossier to request a new letter for an application
Clicking "Add File" on a requirement for a letter of recommendation opens a tabbed interface where you can select a letter from your Dossier account, or request a new letter. Note that when choosing an existing file, the list includes previously requested letters that may not have arrived yet.
To add existing letters from your Dossier account, select the letters from the list of existing files and click "Add"
1. The document will be marked "Received" if it is already in your Dossier
2. If you select a requested letter that has not yet arrived, the document will be labeled as "Pending"
The requested letter will be labeled "Pending" until we receive the letter from your writer. When we receive the letter we will automatically attach it to your application.
To request a new recommendation, open the "Request a Recommendation" tab, and click the "Request" button
1. Add general information about your request
- Add the name of your writer
- An email address is required
- The title of the position you're applying for will automatically be added to the title of your letter, but the title can still be customized if necessary
- The letter will automatically be marked "Confidential" if it is added to a "Confidential Letter of Evaluation or Recommendation" slot in an application
- Select a request type; email or printed form
Some opportunities require a digital signature on letters of recommendation submitted electronically. Please notify your letter writer if your opportunity requires a signed letter. We have an article explaining how to use our digital signature tool to sign a document.
Keep in mind that we cannot guarantee a document has been signed, so make sure to contact your letter writer if a ¬†signature is required. ¬†
2. Add information for your recommender
- Indicate a due date for your recommender to send in your letter
- Attach your CV or other additional documents that may be useful to your writer
- Indicate if the request is for a specific opportunity or a general recommendation ("Specific Recommendation" is selected by default because you are applying for a ByCommittee position)
- Include a link to the website or a text description of the opportunity
- You can also include a message to your recommender and click "Preview" to see how your message will appear to your letter writer (see below)
If the opportunity you are applying for specifically requires a signature, you might want to mention that in the message to your recommender.
3. You can click "Preview" to see how your request will appear in the inbox of your letter writer
We will send your letter writer an email with instructions for submitting your letter directly to our website. You can preview this message when creating a request.
4. Click "Send Request" when you are ready
The requested letter will be marked as "Pending" on your application until we receive it from your letter writer
When your letter arrives, we will automatically attach it to your application!
Review and submit your application
Note that the "Confidential Letter" segment of the Document Requirements application section will be considered satisfied (indicated with a green check mark), and you can submit your application even before requested letters arrive.