Activity Input: Initiate Faculty Input Process
The content in this knowledge base is based upon the standard FACULTY180 environment. Your institution may have made changes to customize the FACULTY180 environment to meet your institution's needs; therefore, the screens in your FACULTY180 environment may differ slightly from the knowledge base. For more information, please contact your FACULTY180 administrator.
FACULTY180 contains a formal activity input workflow process that allows faculty members to input and manage their information and activities in the Activity Input Form. This saves faculty members time and can enhance data completeness and accuracy. Note that faculty members can log on to FACULTY180 and manage (add, edit, or delete) their data in the Activity Input Form at any time.
The formal input workflow process is typically initiated when an institution's official enrollment numbers have been finalized. At that time, administrators upload the courses taught to FACULTY180, verify the employment status (full-time, part-time, etc.) of each faculty member, and then communicates with faculty members (through FACULTY180) that the faculty input process has started. Faculty members will then have access to their courses taught data where they can upload course-related supporting documents, such as syllabi, student evaluations, peer evaluations, and other documents that support their teaching.
FACULTY180 administrators can create a workflow and initiate the activity input process by doing the following:
- On the Admin menu, click Administration.
- In the Activity Input section, click Initiate Faculty Input Workflow. The Initiate Faculty Input Workflow screen displays. A list of previously scheduled input workflows is shown
- To filter the view and limit the workflows shown, specify the following in the filter at the top of the page:
- Start Date and End Date: Enter a start and end date to limit the results to workflows with the Faculty Input Opens and Faculty Input is Due dates within the date range specified.
- Workflow Form: Select a workflow from the list to limit the results to workflows using that specific form.
- Click Refresh Report.
4. Edit an existing scheduled input workflow, or click Add to create a new faculty input workflow.
- Complete the following sections. When finished, click Save.
Input Workflow Details
The name of the process should be descriptive - using ‘action’ terms will give the faculty member an idea of what they are to expect to do.
i.e. Click here to enter/review activities for Annual Review
- Title: the name of the approval process
- Faculty Input Opens / Faculty Input Is Due: the Faculty Input Opens field defaults to the current date if a due date is specified, faculty members no longer have access to the form after the due date select the Ongoing check box if there is no due date and the approval process is ongoing
Faculty Input Settings
- Available Form: select the desired form all forms that have been created in FACULTY180 are available
- Start Semester/End Semester: select the desired academic term(s) to be included in the activity input approval process
- Vitae Template For Preview: select the vita template to be utilized in the faculty input workflow
The activity input approval workflow allows for multiple levels of approval. The default first step in the approval workflow is the faculty member self-submission of the activity input form, where the faculty member submits the activity input form for approval. From here, additional levels of approval steps for administrators can be added to the workflow by clicking Add Step.
The Submit Button Label and Reject Button Label text can be changed for your institution's preference, and instructions can also be added to the workflow (the instructions displayed at the top of the activity input form). To delete a step, click the Delete icon in the Actions column.
If an institution chooses not to utilize the workflow steps functionality, the default step for faculty members to submit their activity input form still applies.
To select the faculty members to be included in the faculty input workflow, click Select Faculty. (See Working with the Faculty Selection Tool for more information.) Notification messages for faculty members that are participating in the faculty input workflow will display on their dashboard in the To Do section.
If a new faculty member needs to be added to the workflow after the workflow has been created, they must be added manually, there is no dynamic process for adding new faculty members to the workflow.