FAQ: Interfolio Data Service
This article provides an overview, basic information, and answers to frequently asked questions about Interfolio's groundbreaking new Data Service designed to pull records of scholarly work into Faculty Activity Reporting.
The Interfolio Data Service is technology that populates the Interfolio Faculty Activity Reporting module, in bulk, with correct and complete data about the academic work of faculty members.
- Throughout the year, the Data Service seeks out and pulls in data about academic work faculty members have done, including books, book chapters, journal articles, and proceedings publications. The Data Service comes connected to an expanding group of sources that include over 250 million records, published and tracked in over 60,000 journals, government systems, and other authoritative outlets.
- The Interfolio Data Service cleans up the data automatically before scholars see it. This includes formatting the data, making sure different scholars with similar names are connected with the correct data, and consolidating duplicate records.
- The Data Service then allows scholars to validate the academic data matched with them. Only after a scholar has validated their data will it be saved to their profile in Interfolio.
- On your Interfolio Home page, you will see prompts for matched records.
- Follow the shortcut on the Home page to validate the records through the Data Service validation interface.
- The records you choose to accept will be added to your account in the Faculty Activity Reporting module.
Please see this article on importing data using the Interfolio Data Service for details about using this feature.
The Interfolio Data Service pre-populates Interfolio Faculty Activity Reporting with bibliographic data about faculty scholarship pulled in via integration with Microsoft Academic Graph and PubMed for easy validation by faculty members or their proxies.
Types of scholarship available via the Interfolio Faculty Data Service:
- Book chapters
- Journal articles
- Proceeding Publications
The Interfolio Data Service taps into a wide range of data sources representing humanities and arts as well as STEM.
Today, the Data Service comes connected to an expanding group of sources that include over 250 million records, published and tracked in over 60,000 journals, government systems, and other authoritative outlets.
PLEASE NOTE: Web of Science by Clarivate currently cannot be connected with the Interfolio Data Service, but can connect with Interfolio Faculty Activity Reporting directly (existing functionality).
Data sources automatically connected with the Data Service today:
||Description||Requires institutional license?|
|Microsoft Academic Graph (MAG)||Publications
Do you have data from data sources not mentioned above?
The Interfolio Data Service comes with a set of standard data sources. Today, the Interfolio Data Service can pull in data from only those sources, and is not available for connection to others.
Future iterations of the Interfolio Data Service will offer connection to additional data sources.
As always, the Interfolio Faculty Activity Reporting module still offers all of the existing data input options that it did before.
Disambiguation of data is based on:
The Data Service does not disambiguate based upon ORCID because ORCID is not widely adopted enough for coverage. It will remain possible to integrate to 1:1 ORCID accounts within the existing integration via the Interfolio Faculty Activity Reporting module.
Currently, the only data available to pull in through the Interfolio Data Service is from the sources automatically connected with the Data Service today. See the above chart for details.
Also, the Interfolio Faculty Activity Reporting module still offers all of the existing data input options that it did before.
Yes. At regular intervals, the Interfolio Data Service will be refreshed with current data for all the faculty members listed in the service.
- Refreshes will take place twice per quarter (data for all clients will be refreshed at once).
- After the Data Service eliminates duplicate entries and verifies the data, it presents the data to the faculty member to validate through a workflow, similar to the activity input workflows existing in the Faculty Activity Reporting module.
- Once the citation is validated by a human (faculty member or their proxy), it will appear in Interfolio Faculty Activity Reporting.
The Data Service does not present data that is already in the Faculty Activity Reporting module. Deduplication scripts include deduplicating against the Faculty Activity Reporting database so that information and data is not presented twice.