Scholarly Contributions and Creative Productions: Import Citations Using the Generic Import
The content in this knowledge base is based upon the standard FACULTY180 environment. Your institution may have made changes to customize the FACULTY180 environment to meet your institution's needs; therefore, the screens in your FACULTY180 environment may differ slightly from the knowledge base. For more information, please contact your FACULTY180 administrator.
Citations can be imported into FACULTY180 in RIS or BibTeX format. For example, citations can be exported from Google Scholar in BibTeX format and then imported into FACULTY180. Once the citations have been exported, log in to FACULTY180 and follow the steps below.
FACULTY180 has a very sophisticated algorithm to compare the fields of the imported Scholarly Contributions and Creative Productions with current activities in the database, and then clearly shows the faculty member which activities it flagged as possible duplicates.
After you have logged into Google Scholar, you can easily export your citations to then import it to Faculty180.
When on the My Library screen, select all of the relevant citations that you would like to export, and then import, into Faculty180
After selecting, click the export icon
Choose the BibTex format for the export
Copy the that is displayed on the screen
Continue following the directions below to Import the copied text (See Citation Data Section in Image below, near step 8)
Importing Citations Using the Generic Import
- Navigate to the Activity Input form using one of the following methods:
- Click the Activities link in the menu.
- Click the Action item in the To Do section, if the link is displayed there.
- Click the Activities link in the Manage Your Data section.
- The Activities form displays. If the Scholarly Activities section is not already open, scroll down to the section and click the expand icon to expand the section.
- Click the Add button.
- The Activity Input screen displays. Click the Generic (RIS / BibTeX) import option. Note: Click the Help Videos link to view tutorials on importing citations into FACULTY180.
- Click the Continue button.
- Select the citation format BibTeX.
- Click Choose File and browse to the location of the saved citations. Select the citation file.
- Click Save.
- The citations from the file are listed. Select the citations to import. The check box in the heading row can be used to select or unselect all citations.
- After reviewing all of the relevant information, click Import Selected.
- Review the results of the Imported Activity Counts. If enabled, FACULTY180 will flag any possible duplicates.
- If finished, click Go Back to return to the previous page. But if there are duplicates, proceed to the deduplication module. (Explained below)
Deduplicator of Imported Activities
FACULTY180 has a de-duplicator (if enabled) that can weed out any duplicates of scholarly contributions within the database.
- The % Match displays the score related to the likelihood the record is a duplicate.
- Exact duplicates will be discarded.
- If any duplicates exist, the following options are available to process the duplicate:
- Click the View icon to show the details of the analysis (proceed to Step 16).
- Select the appropriate Action from the drop-down and proceed to Step 19.
- Click Cancel to address the possible duplicates at a later time. This will place a To Do" item on the dashboard. Refer to Step 20.
- The analysis shows a side-by-side comparison. Either select the appropriate option at the top of the screen to address the duplicate or cancel out of the screen without making a selection. If making a selection, the following options are available:
- Import As New: If the imported citation is not a duplicate, select Import as New.
- Replace Existing: Select Replace Existing to have the newly imported activity replace the existing activity.
- Discard Imported: Select Discard Imported if the newly imported activity is a duplicate and should be deleted.
- Click Save.
- The previous page displays.
- Select the appropriate option:
- Save: Save the data and stay on the page.
- Save and Go Back: Save and return to the previous screen.
- Cancel: Leave the page without saving the changes.
- If Cancel was selected, the following To Do item will be placed on the dashboard: