Configure Activity Input Form
The Activity Input form is used by a faculty member to input their professional activities (courses taught, research, service, professional development) that occur or change each academic term. Faculty members can update their activities at any time but are required to submit an update of their activities whenever administrators initiate the Faculty Input Process (typically each academic term or each academic year). Some of the professional activities recorded in this form include:
- Advising load at the undergraduate and graduate levels
- Information about students being supervised by the faculty member
- Professional and creative works that are pending and/or complete
- Pending grants and funded amounts
- Participation in standing committees, and also similar service at other academic institutions and professional organizations
- Professional development, including conferences, training, and continuing education
- Professional consultation provided by the faculty member
Faculty members can update most of their activity information at any time (the Teaching and Advising Load sections can only be completed during the active activity input period).
- Faculty members are reminded on a regular basis by their institution to review and submit their activity information so it remains current.
- Reminders that the Activity Input Form needs to be reviewed and submitted display in the To Do section on the Dashboard.
- Some institutions also choose to notify faculty members by e-mail that the Activity Input Form needs to be reviewed and submitted by the faculty member.
- There is also the option of editing, deleting, and cloning existing entries.
- If an activity is edited after an activity input form has been submitted for review, an updated Activity Input Form can be submitted if the previously submitted Activity Input Form has not yet been approved. The updated Activity Input Form must be submitted on the Forms & Reports screen.
The ability to edit and add information may be restricted or structured by each institution or department. If there are any questions, please reach out to the institution's FAR administrator.
Access Activities Form
There are two different ways to access the Activities Form. Select the tabs below to view both ways to access the Activities Form.
Add Activity under Homepage
- Click Home on the navigation bar, if it is not already selected.
- Scroll to the bottom and click the Select dropdown under Add Activity.
- Select the Activity to accomplish from the dropdown.
- Click Go when finished.
Add Activity under Activities
- Click Activities on the navigation menu.
- Click the desired Section Header (for example, Teaching, Institutional Committees, Honors, and more) to expand the collapsed section.
- Click Add under the desired section.
The section labels and heading are specified by each institution. If there are any questions regarding the contents of each section, please reach out to the institution's FAR administrator.
Activity statuses and Vita output
When entering an activity, a status can be assigned under Input Form such as In Progress or Completed/Published as seen in the picture above. Select the tabs below to view more information on how to enter statuses.
There are two terminal statuses in Scholarly Contributions and Creative Productions; Completed/Published and Work Discontinued. If a terminal statuses is added to an activity that has a date prior to any other status, those later states will not be displayed on vita output because the terminal state is interpreted. For example, Completed/Published, to be the final state, so later statuses for the activity will not display when generating the vita.
With ongoing statuses, the expectation is that the users are still working on this activity. So when a user pulls a vita for anything that is listed with a status, such as In Press with a particular date because that is an ongoing status, the activity will appear anytime a vita is generated until the activity is given a terminal status. This is true for everything other than Work Discontinued or Completed/Published. When those are introduced, that means the end of the activity.
Note that the sections below are examples of some sections that may appear on the Activities page. However, these options will vary between institutions.
Depending on the institution, faculty members are able to view their teaching summaries outside of the current academic term. Contact the institution's FAR administrator for more information.
The Teaching section in the Activity Input Form displays a list of the courses that are currently assigned to the faculty member for the current academic term, along with any corresponding course attachments (such as syllabus, course, and peer evaluations, and more) and the faculty members teaching load. Faculty members are responsible for verifying that the course information and related course information are accurate for each academic term.
In some cases, multiple course sections may need to be grouped together, as these sections might represent the same course.
- Dual-numbered courses: the same course is listed as two different course numbers (for example, ECON 300 and FIN 300 are the same course; however, one is scheduled by Economics majors and the other by Finance majors)
- Distance learning: a distance learning course is offered via multiple venues, and multiple course sections are listed for the course (one course section per each venue)
The course information displayed in the Teaching section was previously uploaded from the academic institutions Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system. If any courses are missing, please contact your administrator.
To group multiple courses together, do the following:
- Select the check boxes in the Group Courses column adjacent to the course sections wished to group together.
- Click the Group button. The selected course sections are now grouped together and display in a single row.
Update credit hours/teaching load
If the Credit Hours and/or Teaching Load are incorrect, enter the correct information in the desired field(s). The totals at the bottom are updated automatically.
If not teaching a course section that is displayed on the Activity Input Form, select the check box in the Course Not Taught column adjacent to the desired course section. The course section is grayed out, and the Credit Hours and Teaching Load are automatically updated to reflect the change.
Add course attachment
- Click the Add button under the Course Attachments section adjacent to the course section desired to add an attachment to.
- Click the Browse button.
- Select the desired file to be uploaded and then clic Open.
- Click the Type dropdown arrow and select the type of course attachment being uploaded.
- If the Other type is selected, specify the type of file in the text field that displays.
- Select the check boxes adjacent to the desired course sections to upload the attachments. If multiple course selections are available for the same course, each course section will be listed.
- Click the Upload button when finished. The courses attachment is added to the selected course.
Delete course attachment
- Click the attachment type desired to delete for the course.
- Click the Delete icon ("X"), then click Delete. The course attachment is removed.
Scholarly Contributions & Creative Productions
This section is used to add pending grant-related projects, proposals, awards, and renewals. Funding amounts should also be updated to reflect ongoing changes and maintain a complete history of the project throughout its completion. Funding dates can be recalculated based upon the start date and grant periods.