The content in this knowledge base is based upon the standard FACULTY180 environment. Your institution may have made changes to configure the FACULTY180 environment to meet your institution's needs; therefore, the screens in your FACULTY180 environment may differ slightly from the knowledge base. For more information, please contact your FACULTY180 administrator.
Interfolio is an ORCID Member Organization. ORCID is an open, not-for-profit organization that serves the research community by providing individuals with a unique identifier, an ORCID ID, that reliably and clearly connects them with their research contributions and affiliations.
Our integration with ORCID allows users to update their data within Faculty180 from their ORCID record and push data from their Faculty180 activities back into their ORCID record. The ORCID record focuses on faculty scholarship and consolidates scholarly works from many online sources. This makes the Faculty180 – ORCID integration a powerful resource for many faculty loading their scholarship into Faculty180.
Similarly, since Faculty180 holds many types of activities that are not commonly cataloged in online databases (e.g.presentations, posters, etc) using the facility to export to ORCID can be a great tool for expanding and enriching a researcher’s ORCID record.
In addition to research and scholarly works an ORCID record can hold: work experience, education and training, grants, and a biography. All of these additional materials can also be exchanged from the corresponding Faculty180 sections. In Faculty180 access to the ORCID functionality, if it is turned on for your institution, is available in the “Vitas and Biosketches” menu; and further details can be found by searching the Faculty180 help system for “ORCID”.
In order to use this integration, a faculty member must generate a unique ORCID ID by establishing an account/record in the ORCID system. Once an ORCID account is established, the faculty member gives Faculty180 permission, via OAuth, to access the ORCID account directly, then the ORCID import and export functionality becomes available.
(Note: If you have a Faculty180 account in an institutional database your institution must take certain steps to turn on the ORCID integration; contact your institution’s Faculty180 administrator concerning this.)
The following are pre-requisites to utilizing the ORCID API:
- The Institution must be an ORCID member
- The Faculty member must personally own an ORCID account (they can go to https://orcid.org/register)
- The Faculty member must allow access to their ORCID account (this step initiates within FACULTY180 - see below)
If your institution wishes to utilize the ORCID integration, please submit a Support Ticket requesting that access to the ORCID API be turned on. Once the request is received, Interfolio will need to confirm the mapping of the ORCID profile data for your institution's customized database.
- Login to FACULTY180.
- Navigate to Vitas and Biosketches by either clicking the link titled Vitas & Biosketches on the menu located on the left of the screen, or click the link for Vitas & Biosketches under the Manage Your Data section on the Dashboard.
- Scroll to the Vita/Profile Systems heading and find the entry for ORCID Registry.
- The faculty member must sign in to their ORCID account from here by clicking the link titled Create or Connect your ORCID iD.
- Clicking the link takes the faculty member to the ORCID website. Either create an account or use an existing account to sign in.
- Click to Authorize Access
- Upon successfully logging into ORCID and authorizing access, you are returned to FACULTY180, and a message displays indicating 'Access successfully granted'. The faculty member's ORCID ID displays in the View Profile column. Clicking the ORCID ID link takes the faculty member to their public ORCID profile. Clicking the ORCID Registry link will take the faculty member to the ORCID homepage.
The following data may be imported from ORCID to FACULTY180:
- Works: maps to Scholarly and Creative Productions
- Funding: maps to Grants
- Affiliations: maps to Work Experience and Degrees
- Biography: the Biography field maps to Biography. Note: Biography is the only field that maps in this section.
The following data will not be included in ORCID imports to FACULTY180:
To import data from ORCID to FACULTY180, do the following:
- Log in to FACULTY180. If access has not already been granted to the ORCID account, follow the steps outlined to 'Grant FACULTY180 Access to a Faculty ORCID Profile'.
- Navigate to Vitas and Biosketches (either from the menu or under the 'Manage Your Data' section of the Dashboard).
- Click the Import button under 'Vita / Profile Systems'.
- Data from the ORCID profile displays. Select items that you wish to transfer to FACULTY180.
Note: Duplicate (previously imported) entries are hidden, and thus will not display.
- Once all the desired records are selected, scroll down and click the Import Selected button.
- The records to be imported display. Update the status and Semester and Year, as needed. Then, click the Save button.
- The Import from ORCID Results display. The possible upload results are:
- Successfully Added
- Possible Duplicate: possible duplicates can be reviewed under the To Do section of the Dashboard.
- Error: the reason for the error will be displayed
- Exact duplicate: will not be imported.
- Click Go Back to return to the Vitas & Biosketches page. To review the import results again, click the View link under the View Previous Import column.
A faculty member can revoke access to their ORCID account at any time. To revoke this access, do the following:
- Login to FACULTY180.
- Navigate to Vitas and Biosketches by clicking the link titled Vitas & Biosketches on the menu located on the left of the screen.
- Under the Vita / Profile Systems heading, the entry for ORCID Registry will show the faculty member is signed in. Click the check mark next to Signed in to revoke this access.
- A dialog box displays, prompting for confirmation. Click Confirm.
- The access has been revoked.
- Access will need to be revoked within ORCID as well to prevent FACULTY180 from accessing the users' account. To revoke access to FACULTY180 from within ORCID, log into your ORCID account and go to 'Account Settings.'
- Under 'Trusted Organizations' click the trash can icon next to the 'FACULTY180' organization.
- Click 'Remove as trusted organization'.
- FACULTY180 will no longer have access to your ORCID account until you choose to grant access to FACULTY180 again.
- We offer a non-mandatory "Interfolio Suggested Mapping" of scholarly contributions subtypes in Column B. No action required here.
- If you want a different mapping from what is indicated in B, feel free to add the name of the scholarly subtype (e.g., "Book") into Column C. If you leave C blank, we will assume the mapping in B is your preference. Action potentially required here.
- The section named "FOR REFERENCE ONLY" gives you an idea of how F180 and ORCID map at the field level. As you can see, certain ORCID fields don't map to F180 and vice versa. No action required here.
Feel free to return the marked-up spreadsheet and we'll get your re-mapping squared away.