About Clear Faculty Scholarly Duplicates Tools
When importing scholarly works data from third parties, the Clear Faculty Duplicates screen displays a list of all the duplicate scholarly works data based on the selected citation format, including the imported and existing activity that the system has found to be a duplicate and the match percentage. This helps institutions prevent duplicate date from being imported into Faculty Activity Reporting (FAR, Faculty180). Depending on the institution's policies, the Dashboard To Do section will display a message for faculty if there is duplicate data to be addressed.
How the deduplication tool works
All fields (such as type, dateinfo, journal, location, number, info, pages, publisher, title, volume, yearinfo, and author) have equal weight during the comparison.
- If all of the fields match 100% then a duplicate is assumed and automatically flagged as such.
- If the total % match of all fields is > 87.5% and < 100% then it is flagged as a possible duplicate.
- If the total % match is < 87.5% then it is flagged as a new item.
- The comparison is case sensitive.
- Additional white space is not removed.
- If the matched record and imported record has empty values for one of the fields being compared, then that field is ignored in the calculations.
Administrator access to the Clear Faculty Duplicates screen
1. Navigate to Clear Faculty Scholarly Duplicates under Administrations
Navigation: Administration > Administration > Clear Faculty Scholarly Duplicates
- Under Administration on the navigation menu, click Administration.
- In the Tools section, click Clear Faculty Scholarly Duplicates.
2. Build report
- Clicking Select Faculty to select the faculty members desired to show duplicate data for, if necessary.
- Select a citation format from the dropdown.
- Click Build Report.
- Click the View icon (eye) to view the duplicate activity in more detail. The Handle Duplicate Record dialog box opens. The following options are available for handling the duplicate record:
- Import As New: adds the imported activity as a new activity.
- Replace Existing: the newly imported activity will replace the existing activity.
- Discard Imported: the newly imported activity will be deleted.
Duplicate imported activities can also be managed without viewing the details using the Actions drop-down.
Faculty access to the Clear Faculty Duplicates screen
Navigate to the To Do section on the Dashboard
Navigation: Dashboard message > Clear Faculty Duplicates
- Click the applicable Dashboard message in the To Do section.
- The Clear Faculty Duplicates screen displays, showing a list of duplicate data for the selected citation format.