Getting Started with Faculty Search
Interfolio’s Scholar Services team will act as the primary contact for product and technical support for each institution’s administrators, faculty, and staff. This guide will walk through the Scholar Services team structure as well as some of the most commonly asked questions, best practices, and helpful resources.
Getting Started with Faculty Search
Institutions may allow their users to log in with credentials specific to Interfolio, or with Single sign-on (SSO). SSO is an authentication method that enables users to securely authenticate with multiple applications and websites by using just one set of credentials.
Interfolio will partner with Institutional Administrators and the institution's IT department to set up and manage the SSO integration. It is crucial to maintain the SSO integration and for the institution to provide Interfolio with notice of any changes to their SSO such as updated metadata, servers, or shared attributes.
|Tier 1 - Scholar Advocates||
Initial issue triage; product education and support for how-to questions for faculty members.
|Tier 2 - Customer Success Advisors||
Customer Success Advisors (CSAs) handle complex troubleshooting, bug triage, and product support for all users in Interfolio FAR.
|Faculty Search||An Interfolio module (also known as FS) that can be used to facilitate faculty, fellowship, academic staff, and other search processes.|
|Units||Different tiers (Schools, Departments, or Divisions) within a hierarchy. Administrators, Committee Managers, and Evaluators are able to be assigned to each unit in order to determine their access and privileges.|
|Positions||Academic, staff, fellowship, or other postings that collect and store application materials in a single place for committee evaluation.|
|Apply Now Page||The landing/advertisement page for each search. Each Apply Now page has a unique URL and hosts the position description and additional instructions that serve as the online application portal for the search.|
|Application||The collection of materials submitted by applicants for review (documents and other files).|
|Committees||Groups of users that can review submitted applications. Committees include users who have either the Committee Manager or Evaluator role.|
|Dossier||A place for applicants to store and manage all of their job, fellowship, promotion, and review documents in one place.|
- Create a Position
- Edit an Existing Position
- Create Position and Selection Approval Templates
- Create and Manage Position and Application Statuses
- Create and Manage Message Templates
- Manage EEO Statements
- Create a Custom Application Form
- About Position Settings
- Create and Manage Disposition Codes
- Manage Position Advertising for an Institution
- Add A Logo to the Landing Page of Posted Positions
- Run an Applications Report
- Run a Positions Report
- Run an EEO or Custom Form Report
- View System Logs
- Run Advanced Reporting on EEO/Diversity Reports
- Add New Users and Assign Roles
- Create and Assign User Titles
What are the abilities of each user?
A user's role determines their capabilities and permissions in FS.
|Evaluator||Assigned to one or more search committees and are able to review and add notes to individual applications. They cannot make any changes to the position configuration.|
|Committee Manager||Assigned as search leaders and have all of the abilities of an evaluator with a few added permissions such as position status management and reporting access.|
|Administrator||Has the highest level of access in all the roles. These users have all the abilities of a committee manager, plus the ability to create, manage, and monitor all searches at their assigned unit. They also have the ability to control settings and permissions for users in their unit.|
Why are evaluators seeing a “You are not authorized” error when trying to view applicants?
If Evaluators are unable to see the applications for a position, check to make sure:
- They have been added to the search committee
- The position status allows Evaluators to review applications
- The position or application has not been archived
I have created a position, but no one can see it.
It is likely that the position has not been published. You will need to open the position to new applicants.
The applicant says they have applied, so why am I unable to see their materials?
There are two possible scenarios for this:
- The applicant may have only added their materials to their Dossier account.
- The applicant may have added their materials to the application, but not submitted it.
Check out this article on how to Apply to a Position Hosted with Interfolio for more information.
How can I confirm that I sent an email to applicants?
Sent emails can be tracked via Messages sent in the Logs feature.
What do I do if I am unable to find a specific user when trying to add them as a Committee Manager?
- Make sure that the user has been added to the program by clicking Users & Groups in the navigation bar and searching for the user's first or last name.
- If the user is listed, make sure they have been assigned the Committee Manager role for the same unit used to create the position.
- If the user has been assigned an Administrator role, they will have access to the position by default and will not be able to be added to the position as a Committee Manager or Evaluator.
- If this person has already been added to the committee as an Evaluator, remove them first, then add them as a manager.
Check out this Tutorial Video on how to Add a Committee Manager for more information.
What time do positions close on the assigned date? Is this time customizable?
Positions close at 11:59 pm Eastern on the assigned closed date. The close date and time/timezone are displayed to the applicant. The timezone is not currently customizable.
What is the difference between closing and archiving a position?
Closing a position means that the assigned close date has passed and no new applicants can apply. A position that has been closed and archived will no longer appear in the active filter on the Positions list, and existing applicants will no longer be able to make changes.
Why are users getting automatically logged out?
For security purposes, Interfolio will log out any user after 60 minutes of inactivity.