Make a Position Public or Private (Waiver)
We now provide a toggle for Faculty Search positions that allows users to mark the Advertising Setting of the search as public or private when creating a position.
Private positions are only accessible via a private link that can be shared with selected applicants. The link is not visible to the general public.
Public positions: are available for applicants to find and apply for online.
If you just want how-to information, the following link jumps down the page to instructions on creating a private position.
Integration clients: Please follow this link to the release notes for special instructions on using this feature.
About public positions
Public positions are published on external job feeds managed by Interfolio. Public positions will be accessible from:
- External job board feeds and listings published by our integration partners such as Inside Higher Ed, HERC, or HigherEd Jobs**
- Keyword and other searches in Dossier
- An institution's Public Positions List
**Note: a public posting does not automatically post to these services unless users have already set up this integration.
About private positions
- Private positions are accesible via a private link
- The private link is excluded from any external job feeds managed by Interfolio
- Private positions are not accesible via searching in Dossier
- Private positions are not available via external job feeds from our integration partners and do not appear on the institution's Public Positions list.
When to use private positions
Private position have a number of benefits for our users including:
- Conducting internal searches
- Making internal or waiver hires
- Allowing for the review a preferred candidate
What is a reason code?
When setting a position to Private, users are asked to select a Reason from a set list of reasons (reason codes) indicating why the position should be private. This field is required when creating a private position.
The user is asked to select a reason from a dropdown list that includes:
- Spousal/Partner Hire
- Target of Excellence/Opportunity Hire
- Individual Named in Grant or Offer Letter
- Emergency Hire
- Visiting Scholar and Research
- Internal Promotion
- Research Team
- Change in Organizational Structure
- Reinstatement, Returning Employee
- If 'Other' is selected, the user is presented with a text field to enter a reason
Note: The drop down list cannot be edited. If the reason for creating a private position is not in the list, select Other, and write in the Other Reason.
What is an advertising explanation?
We also provide an additional text field that allows the user to provide additional information as to why they are bypassing the usual public process and setting the position to Private.
How to create a private position
The advertising setting is set when editing the Description & Dates section while creating a position.
If marked Public, the position will be available for applicants to find and apply online.
If marked Private, the position will not be discoverable in any public position feeds managed by Interfolio.
If marked Private, you will need to select a Reason for Private Search from the drop down list and fill in the "Explain the reason for waiving the mandatory search process."
The dropdown list of reasons cannot be edited. If the reason for creating a private position is not in the list, select Other, and write in the Other Reason as shown below.