Create a Template To Use as a Starting Point for New Cases
This article provides information on how to create a template for new cases in Interfolio Review Promotion & Tenure. Templates provide a basic starting point for a RPT case. Colleges, schools, and departments can use templates to save time when creating cases, and to establish a repeatable process as they conduct their reviews in Interfolio.
Administrators can create a template filled out with instructions, forms, document requirements and case review steps that can be automatically included as a part of every case built using the template. Templates can be attached to any organizational unit, and can be used for cases created by that unit, or by lower administrative units.
Templates can be created for any case type including, promotions, tenure reviews, annual reviews, appointments, reappointments, or sabbatical cases.
Administrators at institutions who have Enterprise Dossier can choose to publish the instructions and requirements for a template as "Guidelines" to help users at their institution prepare for upcoming reviews.
- Select Templates from the left-hand navigation bar. This will open a list of available templates.
- Select Add Template in the top right corner of the page
- Enter the title and description of the template. Select a unit for the template from the dropdown menu, and click "Continue" when you are finished
Remember, you can add a template to any organizational unit such as a university, school, college, or department, and that template will be available as a starting point for cases created within that organizational unit or by units beneath it in the hierarchy.
You will be taken to the "Template Information" page shown below:
- Select the case type of the template you are creating (required.) You can create templates for appointments, promotions, reappointments, reviews, sabbaticals, tenure cases, and others.
- Enter in a description for the template (required.)
- You can add a requirement for case data forms that must be completed about a candidate or case when using the template. Candidates will never see the questions or answers of a case data form. To add a case data form to the template, click the link, select a form and select Save.
Case data forms must be created by an Administrator from the Administration page, and can be filled out by an Administrator when creating a case. For more information see this article on creating case data forms.
- Select Save & Continue to continue to the Candidate Requirement page
This section can include specific instructions to the candidate about assembling their packet and any other procedures, policies, or deadlines at your institution. You can also include links to required forms and online resources such as instructions or handbooks outlining your policies.
Note that when building a case from the template, users can edit this section if they need to make specific changes.
- Add instructions to the candidate (these instructions will appear for any case built using this template.)
- Create Candidate Packet Requirements for a packet of required materials and forms. The packet requirements you create here will become available for any case built using this template. A single packet section labeled "Candidate Documents" appears by default, but you can create new custom packet sections for materials you would like to receive from a candidate. Each section can contain a due date, a description, and requirements for particular materials (e.g., CV, teaching statement, syllabi).
- Select Add Section
- Enter the name, description, and due date for the packet section, and indicate whether or not candidates can add additional documents to the section
Once created, you can click the blue edit pencil to change the name, description and set the due date of a packet section.
If the requirement you want to create is a document or other material:
- Enter the name
- Add any notes about the requirement
- Indicate if the document is required or optional
- Enter a number of documents. This can be a specific number, a range, or have no limit.
- Select Save and Continue when you are finished adding packet requirements
If the requirement you want to add is a form:
- Select the Form tab at the top of the window
- Select the form from the dropdown menu and select Save.
Forms are created from the Administration page. For more information see this article on how to Create a New Form.
Add a F180 Vita as a Candidate Requirement when Creating a Template
This option will only appear if your institution uses both Review, Promotion, & Tenure and Faculty180. Learn more about this option here: Add a Built-in Faculty180 Vita Section to a Review, Promotion & Tenure Template or Case
You can create internal case sections to help committee members or individual users organize documents that will be added during the process of reviewing a case. Internal case sections will not be visible to the candidate.
Sections added here should correspond with larger groups of materials that will be organized together.
Note: With internal case sections, you are creating a space for documents added to the case by committees and reviewers. You can create specific document requirements for reviewers of the case when adding case review steps. For more information see the article; Require Documents for Review Steps.
- Set whether internal case sections will appear above or below the candidate packet (on the case page.)
- Two internal case sections appear by default; a section labeled "Committee Documents," and a section labeled "External Evaluations." Select Remove if you want to remove the external evaluation section from the template or case. See the article Requesting External Evaluations to learn more about the process.
- To add another internal section, select Add Section. Add a name and description for the new internal section.
If your institution uses academic levels to manage access to cases (bulk recusal), see this article on how to Use Academic Levels to Manage Access to Cases .
The case review steps you add will form a preconfigured workflow for cases built using this template. These steps should match the particular review process of your organization.
Users may need to add other steps to the process, or more committees or individuals to a step when they are creating a case based on the template.
You can assign additional committees if multiple committees require access to the packet at the same step.
- Select Add Step to begin setting up the workflow of case review steps for the template.
- Name the case review step, set a due date for when the step must be completed (optional.)
- Select who will review the case at this step; a standing committee, ad-hoc committee, or individual user
- Standing committees are created at the unit level (i.e. university, school, college etc.) and can be reused for cases in that unit.
- Ad-hoc committees are created on a per case basis. An admin will need to add members to this committee before a case can be initiated.
- An individual user can review the case, but will not be able to collaborate with others. To allow multiple members to review together, create a standing or ad-hoc committee.
Click "Continue" when you are finished adding steps to the template
- Select Edit the right of the step
- Select Add Committee to give another committee or individual access when cases reach this step
- Select who will review the case at this step; a standing committee, ad-hoc committee, or individual user, and select Add.
- Select the Settings tab for each committee to indicate whether or not each committee or individual can move the case forward or backward. If checked, the manager of the committee, or the individual reviewer can move the case forward or backward in the workflow of case review steps.
When creating a template, you can recuse administrators who should not have access to cases built on the template at a particular workflow step.
- Select Manage in the step details sections to see a list of Administrators with access at this step in the workflow
- Select Recuse next to an Administrators name to recuse that Administrator. Once recused, the Administrator will not be able to view or access the case at this step.
- If necessary, you can click the addition sign to add the Administrator back
You can require that the committee or individual submit particular documents before the case can move to the next review step in the workflow.
- Select Edit on the step of the workflow to add committee requirements for.
- Open the Required Documents tab and select Add Required Document.
- Enter a title and description for the required document and click "Add
- Select Additional Options > Reorder at the top of the page.
- The steps will collapse and you can drag and drop them to change the order for the template.
- Select Done to commit the change.
The last page, the Template Summary page allows you to review your template. Select any of the previous sections to go back and make necessary changes.
Viewing Guidelines can help users prepare for upcoming reviews.
Click "Preview" to see how the information that will appear to Dossier users at your institution
Once created, the template will appear in your list of available templates
The template in the can now be used as a starting point for any case created under the unit it was created at, and will include the instructions, forms, required documents, and workflow steps you added. See here for information on creating a case using a template.