A Candidate's Guide to Populating and Submitting a Packet Using Interfolio RPT
This article explains what to expect as the candidate of a review conducted using Interfolio's Review, Promotion & Tenure (RPT) product. If RPT is used to conduct reviews online, packet submission will be requested to review the materials through Interfolio. A Unit Administrator or Case Manager will create a case that includes instructions for submitting the packet with all required documents and forms. An email will be sent out notifying the candidate when the case is ready.
Are you new to using Interfolio for reviews? Check out our eLearning course for RPT Candidates.
1. Navigate to your Packets
You can navigate to your packet from the case initiation email sent when your case was created or by logging into your Interfolio account. If your case does not appear on Your Packets page, it may have not yet been initiated.
From your Interfolio Account
Navigation: Your Packets > Packet Name > View Instruction
- Select Your Packets from the navigation bar.
- Select the name of the packet under the Active packets section.
Past packets can be viewed in the section below the Active Packets.
- The Packet Overview page will be displayed.
From the Case Initiation Email
Navigation: Email > View Case > Packet Overview
- Click View Case in the email.
- If you do not have an account yet: A prompt will display to create a password to generate the Interfolio account to be used to collect and submit materials for the packet.
- If you have an account already: The Packet Overview Page will be displayed.
2. Packet Overview and Deadlines
The packet overview page provides a high-level overview of the different sections, the requirements for each section, and the progress in fulfilling each of the requirements. To continue fulfilling requirements or to submit a section, select Edit within a section or select the Packet tab.
About Packet Deadlines
- Soft deadline: If the deadline type is a soft deadline, each individual section must be manually submitted, even after the deadline has passed. Administrators will be able to see to the date the materials were submitted.
- Hard deadlines: If the deadline type is a hard deadline, all sections will be automatically submitted and locked on the due date indicated. To have sections unlocked for editing after this date, reach out to an administrator of the case.
Individual sections may have due dates indicated. These dates are always soft deadlines. If the overall packet has a hard deadline, then all sections will be automatically submitted on the packet's due date, not the individual section's due date.
3. View Instructions and Preview Packet
View Instructions from the institution
- From within the packet, select View Instructions at the top right of the page.
- Any instructions that the institution has provided will appear in the window.
- Select Preview Packet at the top right of the page.
- The document reader will open and materials can be previewed here.
The preview shows exactly how the packet will appear to the committee.
4. Add Files and New Sections
- Select the Packet tab.
- Click Add adjacent to the desired requirement.
- Select Choose Existing to add files from your Dossier account or Add New File to add new files from your computer or link to videos or webpages.
If your file is not uploading, make sure it follows the accepted file types.
When uploading files, make sure to give the materials in the packet a meaningful title because reviewers will see the titles provided as bookmarks to the left of the page when reviewing the documents.
- Select Add when finished.
- Click Edit under the Actions column adjacent to the desired file needed to be edited or replaced.
- Edit the Title of the file to change the name.
- Click Replace to choose a new file to replace it.
Files can be added by a Unit Administrator or Case Manager. If a file is added by a Unit Administrator or Case Manager, it will appear as Suggested by [Administrator's/Manager's Name]. The user will then choose whether to keep or remove the file.
Note that responses submitted to committee files cannot be deleted.
- It is possible to select an entire folder to be uploaded to a packet. However, after the folder is added to the packet, each of the files within the folder will show up individually.
- Uploaded documents are ordered based on the sequence in which they are processed. This will generally align with the order the documents are uploaded.
If you add a file to the wrong section, you can quickly rearrange and move files by selecting that file and dragging and dropping it to the correct section.
Add New Section
There will be an Add Section button at the top of the Packet tab, if enabled by a Unit Administrator, where sections can be added to the packet by individual users.
5. Submit Candidate Forms
- Click Fill Out Form within the desired section under the Packet tab.
- Fill out the information and click Save Responses when finished.
- If the form has already been started, click Edit Form to continue submitting responses.
- Click Submit at the top of the section, when finished, to submit the form along with the rest of the section.
The form will appear as completed but not yet submitted until the submit button is pressed. After submission, edits can no longer be made.
6. View and Respond to Shared Files
The committee reviewing the case may share files. The committee may allow responses to the shared file and may set a date when the response is due.
The response due date is a hard deadline, meaning responses cannot be given to the shared files after the due date.
See the article, View and Respond to Files Shared by a Committee for step-by-step instructions.
7. View and edit a FAR Vita as part of the RPT packet
The FAR vita section will only appear if the institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Activity Reporting (FAR, Faculty180) product and has turned on the integration between the two products. Candidates cannot add, change or remove a Vita Template from an RPT Case, but may be able to update their activities within their FAR account and regenerate the Vita in their packet.
For more information on using this feature, check out these articles:
8. Submit Your Packet
- Click Submit adjacent to each section when finished filling out the required information. Sections can only be submitted when the requirements have been met.
When more documents are added than the required number, the number added changes color and is bolded to draw attention to the error. If attempting to submit a section with too few or too many materials for the given requirements, a message will appear indicating if the issue is too many or too few requirements. With the text: “You can submit the section once you have corrected any issues and added materials to meet the requirements for the section.”
Check out this article on How to Submit Your Packet for more information on ways to submit your packet and what happens after submission.
How do I unlock a section to make changes after submission?
Once you have submitted a section, that section will lock. Only an administrator of the case will be able to unlock that section to allow changes. Reach out to an administrator at the institution to request a section to be unlocked.
How do I edit the bookmarks in the document reader?
Bookmarks cannot be edited directly from Interfolio. They must be edited or removed from the original document within Adobe.
How do I download or print my packet?
Packets cannot be downloaded or printed.
How do I review a previous cycle's packet?
- Navigate to Your Packets from the navigation menu.
- Scroll down to the Completed Section.
- Select the desired completed packet to review.
Check out this article on how to Reuse Materials from Previous Packets for more information.
What is the time zone for the application timestamp?
The timestamp that displays is in UTC, not the candidate's timezone.